Saturday, July 21, 2012

Food with a View

Every week or so I receive a delightful email from a website called My Little Paris. This being my favorite city in the world it offers me a tiny slice of Paris in the middle of my busy week which I really enjoy. This week’s post divulged the best terraces and courtyards in Paris – peaceful, secluded places to enjoy a coffee or an aperitif in the sun or while looking at the view. There were sixteen in all and it got me thinking about whether Auckland offers any hidden gems of this type.

After-all, Auckland's climate, without real extreme's should be conducive to alfresco dining a good part of the year.

The first terrace that came to mind is the rooftop terrace at Tyler Street Garage and this was mainly because I’d just been there for lunch to sample the new menu. Everyone there was breathing a sigh of relief because after several days of terrible winter storms the sun was out, so much so that it was almost too hot on the roof. I suspect that was mainly due to the extra layers of merino most people were wearing.


TSG roof terrace at night

It was in fact rather blissful to sit there in the warm winter sun, looking out to the sparkling water on which a few mid-week sailors were tacking gracefully down the harbour to escape the city for a few hours.

It’s a slightly unusual view but not an unpleasant one. As part of the fabulous Britomart precinct Tyler Street Garage sits on Quay Street across from the wharfs where Lego block shaped ships divest their hulls of new and used cars. Today a ship was just leaving and the wharf was near empty, so it was rather peaceful. 

At other times, when the weather may not be quite so obedient, the outdoor fireplace adds warmth and a retractable roof provides shelter.

We were served a selection of dishes from the new menu by head chef Murray Wiblin which included their famous fried chicken, tempura oysters, now found everywhere but very well executed pulled pork sliders and a delicious seared tuna salad.

seared tuna salad

I had to leave before the spiced apple donuts with warm chocolate sauce were served but judging by this image they’d be worth a return trip.




Other terraces I love (though they’re not necessarily quiet and secluded as in Paris) can be found at NSP in Parnell, Soul Bar and Cibo.
There are probably others that I don’t know about so I’d love to hear where your favourite terraces or courtyards are – I will compile a list and share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment